Sunday 10 February 2013

I could of .... but didn't

Well today I was at Stoney Cove assisting on an IDC, playing the naughty student - deliberately doing the skills wrong hoping they would be corrected !!! - they were.

Another part of the IDC, the candidate, (Neil) had to do a rescue assessment .... and I had an opportunity to do mine (part of the DM course).

The water was under 5 degrees and I was already too cold after assisting Neil on his Rescue Assessment that I decided to give it a miss.  It was a wise choice !!!

Gives me more time to practice

For those wondering the Rescue Assessment is responding to an unresponsive, non breathing diver by
  • Locating diver
  • Turning the diver face up and establishing buoyancy
  • Removing divers mask and regulator, open the airway and check for breathing
  • Calling for help
  • Giving 2 initial rescue breaths, and continue with rescue breaths
  • Tow diver to safety whist protecting his airway and continuing rescue breaths
  • Remove divers kit as well as own
  • Exit the water with diver


2 comments: